Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting remote computers to SBS Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryMc

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2002
CA
Hello

In our main office recently upgraded from peer to peer we have a SBS 2003(Prem 2nic ISA) box behind a router and a Windows 2000 Member Server used for TS .

At our second office we have a couple of peer to peer computers that use TS to run an application on our server.

Terminal Services answers a particular situation but I would really like to connect these remote computers to our Domain here so that we can administer the workstations, rollout Exchange (we use the POP connector at the moment Trend C/S/M suite to help us with all the nasty virus, worm and Spam issues, and eventually use a new client/server app we are writing.

Plus when they connect to us (although TS is supposed to be kind of secure) a major concern of mine is that I have no idea if there patches/AV are up to date or what ever else is in their network.

Is this practical with static IP DSL at both ends?

I have a couple of Linksys VPN routers can I use them to make a permanent connection to the SBS network?

Does the VPN have to go through ISA and the SBS or can I connect it to the network switch (or whatever) using a second IP on the router or is this a serious security flaw?

Will this allow me to prevent them from going out to the internet through their connection which only has the NAT of a router as a firewall and use ISA on the SBS as their gateway?

VPN through the Linksys and ISA has been a common topic and is a pain to setup, I would rather use the hardware VPN if I can.

I know I have a lot of questions I am one of those SBS'ers with many hats to wear but I don't mind putting in the time now to get out of administering two peer to peer networks a full days drive apart.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Terry

We have two Linksys BEFVP41 vpn routers and would prefer using them site to site.

I have had no problem getting a stable connection between the two sites when I tested it without ISA and the 2 nics. But with ISA and 2 nics its a different story as the connection is really on the external nic subnet and I don't know how to get it through ISA.

I can have a different IP for the local VPN router can I just plug it into the network behind ISA?

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back