Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting random devices to one TV, simply

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Hello All,
We currently have a bit of a crapshoot going on in our two conference rooms and I am searching for ideas on exactly what do implement to remedy this issue. Basically we have a pair of 65" TV's in our new conference room and 1 TV in our old conference room. Each conference room has its own dedicated PC for internet browsing, video/audio meetings, displaying power point or whatever. We would also need a way to connect a random manufacturer's laptop into our displays whenever they want to present from their hardware. I'm thinking some sort of KVM might be the answer but curious how you guys have yours set up. Right now we are literally disconnecting an HDMI cable from our PC in the conference rooms and hooking up their device, assuming we have a HDMI to whatever adapter if they do not have HDMI. Anyone have any great ideas on what I should look into or am I on the right track with a KVM. No other devices other than the displays will need to be connected.

Thanks for taking the time to read over this. I'm assuming I'm heading the right way but maybe there is something cool out there I don't know of.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

To add to the above, simply would mean a single button press if possible to switch between one device and the next. We have some very non technical users who will be operating this who honestly have trouble using the remote to change inputs.... otherwise we would just do it that way with an extra HDMI cable.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Could possibly use this in the old conference room that has only one TV. Guess with this we could just have HDMI to DVI and HDMI to whatever adapters on hand.

I've seen something like this at a local community college for sharing connections to a projector. The hook up an octopus of various adapters so a visiting professor can hook up their laptop or switch to the desktop PC with ease. You don't have to go as far as Extron ($$$$$), but this might spark some ideas.

LoPath
Maintain HiPath 4000 V5 & V6, OpenScape Xpert V4 & V6, OpenScape Xpressions V7, OpenScape Contact Center V8, OpenScape Voice V9

I would just purchase an HDMI switch. Amazon sells a 4 port one for way under $100.00. You just press a button to switch between devices

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Thanks for all the input everyone. We ended up just going with a HDMI KVM.

You can always use a projector instead of a TV. Connecting your pc with tv without a hdmi cable is tough. You can do it by wifi sharing but our technology has not been there yet. So either you can use a projector or just take the video on a pendrive and run it on tv.

Graphic Designer at background removal service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back