Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Procurve 2848 to Nortel 8000 switch via fibre 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticangel

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2003
CA
I have an older Nortel passport 8000 switch with a 450-1SX MDA installed (1000SX SC connectors). I have connected it to an HP Procurve 2848 switch with a J458B Gigabit-SX LC Mini-GBIC module installed. The fibre cable I used was a 10m SC-LC multimode 62.5/125 cable. In the stats page for the HP Procurve, I am getting a large number of Rx errors (3445) and FCS Rx errors (754) out of a total 115,329,281 Bytes Rx. I tried replacing the cable with another similar one, but same problem. Both switches are showing their ports to be configured as 1000FDx. As I have no experience with interconnecting dissimilar equipment via fibre, I'm hoping someone will have a suggestion.

Try turning off autonegotiation on both sides of the link.
Nortel SX GBICs are infamous for this.

Even though the applicable ports on both switches were displaying configurations that seem to match, I tried your suggestion and the errors have dropped to zero. I have had to this before on the Nortel ethernet ports but the switch config actually showed a mismatch in those cases. Thank-you for your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back