Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting PCs in different regions

Status
Not open for further replies.

agilo

Programmer
Feb 4, 2004
TR
Hi Guys,

I do need to connect 4 PCs of my friends - running windows 2k (in different geographical regions- LAN is not possible) together for them to be able to share resources (also to use VNC). Each one has a DSL connection from an internet provider.

Can any body help drawing a general picture how I can do it..

Thanks in advance..

Agilo

I would have set up a VPN server in one of the locations, or simply used a free p2p program, like DirectConnect.
An other solution could be ftp access to one computer, or to all, with portforwarding in the dsl routers, ,maybe with some dynamic dns service.

Thanks very much TheGrey, I can start searching using your keywords, it would be great if somebody can help with an applicable senario...

Agilo,

What resources do you want to share? Exactly what are you trying to do? Post more information for better answers.

What I am trying to do is to connect the PCs together, also
to configure the network in such a way for each one to be able to use VNC and to have access to each other's PC, also to use VOIP clients..

Well, if they're all connected to the internet then they are connected together!

Forward port 5900 for VNC if using a home router, otherwise just connect direct via the public IP. The VOIP client will also connect via the public IP.

What's the problem?

the main problem is security, how to secure such a network, should all connections be via VPN?, if so, how can the application initiate a VPN connection automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back