Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting pcanywhere through linksys router

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjj4golf

Programmer
Feb 27, 2006
US
Host: Windows XP Pro Sp2; Linksys WET54g wireless router; Zyxel DSL modem.

I am trying to use pcanywhere to connect to the host. If I take the router out and just use the modem, port forward 5631 and 5632 to the ip adrs(192.168.2.2) of the host it works. The trouble is that the modem uses dynamic adressing and won't allow winxp to set a static adrs. So the adrs of the modem is
192.168.2.1 and assigns an adrs of 192.168.2.2 to the host. When I hook the router in, it has an adrs of 192.168.1.1. I can then go into the modem and forward the ports 5631/2 to 192.168.1.1 but I can't then forward the ports in the router to 192.168.2.2 because the ip adresses are coded 192.168.1.x where x can be changed and not the others. It can be changed so all adrs's start w/ 192.168.2.x but then it conflicts w/ the modem. I am confused here.
Mike

I had the same issue at my house, so I took my router out of the picture and just use the modem\router from the ISP. I played with it for a couple of days trying to port forward through both. Sometimes it would work and others it wouldn't. What you have to do is give them both static IPs, there is a way. You may have to call the modem help desk to get the configuration just right but unless you have two different dls connections going out or for some reason need two different network schemes, you shouldn't need to add a router on top of their router. Also most modems have a way to make them immulate a bridge instead of a router and then you can use yours without it conflicting.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

I've experienced a situation somewhat like yours.

The solution in my case was to have the ISP set their modem to what they referred to as "transparent bridged mode". This way, the public IP address would be assigned to my router instead of their modem. To do this, you may have to get your call elevated to a higher level of their support hierarchy. The first-level guys usually don't seem to know that it's possible or they don't have this level of access/security clearance.

On the LAN side of the router, I set my devices to use static addresses. If I need to attach to a particular workstation, I just log into the router and forward the PCA ports to the address of that particular machine. After I log out of the router, I fire up PCA and do what I need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back