Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Outlook to Exchange Server via VPN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upstream

IS-IT--Management
Mar 7, 2005
GB
Hi,

I am trying to connect my company laptop to my company Exchange server, via my home LAN which has an ADSL connection.

I have attached my laptop to the LAN and connected via the LAN/ADSL to my VPN connection. Through this I can successfully ping the Exchange server. However, when I try and connect with Exchange from Outlook, it hangs on "Connecting to Exchange Server", eventually timing out.

I have experimented with all the various Outlook connection settings and have tried turning off the the Windows XP Firewall and the NAT on the router. Still it will not make the connection.

If I use conventional dial up and connect to VPN, it works.

I am running Outlook 2000 under Windows XP SP2. Please can anyone offer any assistance?

Sounds like Windows Firewall problem in windows XP SP2. Try adding your vpn to your windows firewall and adding outlook.exe to your exceptions list.

In future, please note that this question should be posted in the Windows XP forum not in the exchange forum as it isn't a problem with exchange server.

Hi,
i am also looking for a same solution. But my problem is i am not able to setup the VPN connection.

I have configured VPN connection but when i try to connect it says Error 678: There was no answer.

Can you guide me in that
I am using: Exchange 5.5+sp3
outlook 2000, windows 2000 professional.

regards
Yunus

Upstream, edit your HOSTS file in your System32 directory. You need to add your exchange server's name and its private IP address to it, run ipconfig /flushdns, establih VPN connection and try to ping Exchange by name, see if it resolves properly and gives you reply. This should fix your peoblem provided the VPN is working correctly.

openeratech, what is your VPN setup? are connecting to Windows server?

NOktar, I have tried this with total success. Everything is now working fine. Very many thanks for your post.

Hi,

Actually i have put one more post for this problem. Actually i had problems with VPN server. So i was wondering , is there any other way to connect without using VPN.

If so , please guide.

regards
Yunus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back