Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting outlook over vpn

Status
Not open for further replies.

psnead

Programmer
Jul 5, 2000
DK
Hi,

I've installed a vpn appliance and set up exchange server. I can access share folders over vpn, but can not connect outlook to the exchange server. when i try to open outlook I get the message, exchange server unavailable. what do i have to do to sync outlook with the exchange server over vpn?

Psnead

Can you ping the server name? Have you got WINS configured correctly as the MAPI profile uses a mix of DNS and WINS to resolve and connect.

what is mapi? I can ping the server by ip, but not server name...I'm mapping my drives by IP as well

WINS or dns is needed to resolve names especially through a VPN. MAPI is the protocol that uses WINS/DNS to resolve and talk to the exchange server.

That's why you can't connect then. You need either a DNS/WINS setup or hosts and lmhosts file entries.

Thank you, adding the ip to the WINS tab seems to have fixed it.

give creds where creds is due. Zelandakh desrves a star psnead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back