Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting my server with other computers on the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Showtime99

Programmer
Sep 24, 2004
US
hello,

i'm trying to build a home network just for some practice. I'm using windows 2000 advanced server and iis. I'm trying to setup a network that will make my website available to only the other computers in my network......is there a way to do this without connecting to the internet?? I think it has to do with dns but i'm not sure.

for example, I have one computer setup as my server and two other computers that i want to be able to connect to the server computer to view the site that is on it. but i only want them to be connected to each other, not the internet.

i hope this makes since. Thanks for your help.

Showtime

You don't need to be connected to the internet to do this. Once you have configured your server, just point the other PC's to
Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Look into wireless also. I have a cable modem which comes into the house which is hooked to a wireless router. Just a few feet of cord in the back of the house, computer is in the front of the house. Have a laptop I can take outside on nice days to surf the net or work on the other computers. Cheap and easy to use. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin/Central Florida feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
TTinChicago
Johnson Computers
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back