Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting LANs together 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkm987

Technical User
Oct 30, 2002
US
I have a home LAN with a few machines, one of them running Windows 2000 Advanced Server and I also have a couple friends with setups like mine. We each are connected to the internet via broadband with a static IP. Is there a way we can network each of our LANS together through the internet? I would like it where each computer on each lan is accessbale through Network Places. Each LAN is also behind a firewall, so what ports would need to be opened for this to work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You might want to look into getting VPN endpoint routers. This is what we have implemented at our office to connect our remote office to the corporate network, should work well in your situation as well.... Thanks,

Matt Wray

You don't need to purchase VPN endpoint routers to accomplish this task, although it makes the job much simpler.

If both of you have Win2k Advanced Server on your internal LAN then just install Routing and remote access services on the domain controllers and configuring VPN Remote Access will accomplish this task. You can link both the domains using trusts so that you can see the other domain in your network places.

Use the custom configuration option when configuring Routing and Remote Access services and select VPN access. Complete the wizard and then you'll be able to configure VPN access to your server more thoroughly by using the Routing and Remote Access MMC snap-in.

Create a static route between your Win2k AS and your friend's network - instruct him to do the same. If you have a linksys or comparable internet gateway you are going to need to enable IPSec passthru on the device for the communication to work properly. My recommendation would be to buy a book on Windows 2000 Advanced Server - one that explains VPN thoroughly.

This will take some time to set up and a lot of trial and error, but it's a cost-effective way to connect two remote domains.

As far as which ports need to be opened for VPN - you should just need the IPSec passthru as well as an open port to communicate to the VPN server with forwarding enabled on your firewall/router. I don't know them off the top of my head, but a quick search on google with the text "Windows 2000 Advanced Server VPN ports" should turn up some results.

HTH!

--James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back