Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting from a workgroup into a domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawm101

IS-IT--Management
Nov 11, 2003
ZA
Hi,
I need to connect from a workgroup to a PDC in order to access files, the domain and the workgroup are on different IP ranges and are linked via a routed WAN. I keep on getting Logon errors. Any ideas?

Hi,

When you say different IP range, do u mean on the same segment or differen't segments? .. I have a issue where i'm trying to network different' segments. For ex, Lan1 has IPs of 192.168.0.x and Lan2 has IPs 192.168.1.x. I need to connect these two Lans together and be able to share files. Do you have this config? ..

For you situation, did you have your workgroup computer join the domain?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When you say different IP range, do u mean on the same segment or differen't segments? .. I have a issue where i'm trying to network different' segments. For ex, Lan1 has IPs of 192.168.0.x and Lan2 has IPs 192.168.1.x. I need to connect these two Lans together and be able to share files. Do you have this config?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The easiest way is to install wins on both segment and have them pull/push the data.

OK got it sorted, easiest way is just to map drives using \\ip _address\sharename, would only recomend this for smaller networks, otherwise would use WINS.

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back