Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Exchange to a UNIX mail server

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveTuplin

Technical User
Jan 9, 2001
GB
I have a UNIX box and I can send mails from it to email accounts connected to the internal Microsoft Exchange system.

I can't send mails back to the UNIX box from the Exchange-capable accounts that I can send mails to though.
I have snooped on my IP ports on the UNIX box and the Exchange Server doesn't even contact my UNIX box before returning the following message back to the Outlook enabled PC:

> Your message did not reach some or all of the intended
> recipients.
>
> Subject: from outlook on 9th Jan 2001
> Sent: 09/01/01 14:27
>
> The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
>
> 'advisor@advisor.ourdomain.com' on 09/01/01 14:27
> The recipient name is not recognized
> The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=ourdomain;l=ZUK02EXM01-010109142659Z-358460
> MSEXCH:IMS:eek:urdomain:lmpsukbas:ZUK02EXM01 3550 (000B099C) 550 <advisor@advisor.ourdomain.com>... User unknown

I asked the sysadmin guys if anything needs setting up but they didn't seem to be very hot.
Some instructions I could take up to them would be much appreciated.

Dave

Add the IP address of the UNIX box to your HOSTS file and add the UNIX users as custom recipients in Exchange. I am not positive this will fix the problem.

If you are trying to use the UNIX box as a relay host you should also add a new SMTP address entry in the IMS and place an astericsk in the address field.

I hope this helps you. If anyone has anything to add or if I'm wrong on this please let me know!

I have just recently changed from Linux-SendMail to Exchange, where the linux box is the unit connected to the outside world. To do this I needed to set up an external IP address on the Exchange box NIC, then declared to my ISP the new address for the mail.<domainname> This assumes you have a static public IP address available.

try the msg delivery on the IMS, use DNS then specify by email domain, click on by email domain add the unix domain. i have it working here with sendmail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back