Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Compaq MDRs to different SANs (EMC and Cpq)

Status
Not open for further replies.

villavic

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
PE
Hi
I have two SANs: EMC Connectrix and Compaq (HP) Storageworks. Both SANs are actually formed by Brocade Switches. EMC Switches are the Connetrix DS16B2 (16 ports 2GB). Compaq switches are 16ports 1GB.

I want to connect MDRs (from a Compaq DLT TApe Library, actually ATL), to both SANs. These are 2 MDRs (163082-b21 Modular Data Router 2 FC x 2 HVD SCSI to Connect HVD Tape Library to SAN)
So each FC will connect one to the EMC SAN and the other to the HP SAN.

I know I have full compatiblity within the HP/Compaq products.

However I'm not sure if I should connect MDRs to SAN EMC. It makes sense that since all switches are actually Brocade, it's almost the same product. But.. does the manufacturer changes/customizes their product to be compatible just with some brand? Does the firmware or kernel is different? Or they use a same common product for any brand (EMC, HP, etc).

The MDRs should function with the EMC SAN. Insure that the firmware is up-to-date on all products prior to installing. If you are useing hard zoning insure that the zones are setup properly and verify the path as you make your connects.

You will most likly need to reboot/reset the SAN in proper order to see the MDRs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back