Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting clients to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

paveway

Programmer
Jan 6, 1999
AU
We have a server running netware 4 and clients running windows 95 and 3.11. The clients use novell client login software. Now I'm trying to connect some of the computers to the internet. What i am doing is running a proxy server on one system and trying to connect to that system using its IP address. The problem is that i have assigned the IP addresses correctly but they refuse to talk to each other. The IP addresses i have assigned are 192.168.1.? where ? is the next number up from the previous computer. When i try pinging the computers all i get is an error 10045 error message. I would have thought that TCP/IP would run next to IPX and all the other netware stuff easily. Is this a problem to do with running netware or what?<br>
Any help would be appreciated. If you need more info or a clarification, just tell me

I had a similar problem, but I don't know if you are running two separate networks when you say that you set up a proxy on "another system". But as long as you have TCP/IP installed just from the Win95 CD (choose add protocol, TCP/IP in the network control panel)and the subnet masks are identical on all machines netware and IPX really sdhouldn't cause any problems. I am running an Internet server on an NT network and the Novell network clients "talk" to the proxy server on the NT network fine. I have just connected the two networks through a 10/100Mbit switch.
I hope this helps!

TCP/IP Runs perfectly with ipx. There is no problem there. I have a 5 server network with my W/S oround my house all connected through a Proxy server to the internet. I get internet connection to every W/S simultaneously. This uses the IP Protocol. What Proxy are you useing? Do you have TCP Loaded and Binded on the Novell server? <br>
In the autoexec.ncf file makes sure your tcp/ip protocol is loaded<br>
<br>
Load TCP<br>
Load &lt;path to nic driver&gt; FRAME=ETHERNET_II NAME=NIC_TCP<br>
BIND IP to NIC_TCP ADDR=192.168.1.1<br>
<br>
these commands will turn on the TCP protocol<br>
<br>

Hmmm, unless the Novell server is being used as the proxy, there is no reason you need to have IP bound to an interface muchless the tcpip protocol even loaded. If workstation to workstation ping is presenting the error you are mentioning then the problem is in the way the ip stack is configured on the workstations. If so, delete and reinstall the Windows95 ip protocol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back