Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Andriod Smart Phone with Exchange 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Good morning gentlemen. I am having an interesting time trying to connect cell phones to our Exchange server 2016. I started a new job about a month ago in the IT dept and they are running Exchange 2016. The current IT dept crew states that they have about 8 people who are all connected to the mail server with phones but they were set up a long time ago, likely on a different version of Exchange and are working just fine. Since the upgrade they were trying to get cell phones to connect to the mail server and were unsuccessful so it has been tossed in my lap to figure out why it isnt working. I have a Droid Maxx that I am trying to get connected to my mailbox and have failed so far.

At the old job, we had an ISP mail server that we connected all laptops and smart phones to so I am familiar with all settings and connections but apparently do not have the right combination to set them up with Exchange 2016. I have access to the AD server, the Exchange server, and anything else that we may need. Looking at an Apple cell phone and checking the settings in a mail account that is working I was able to deem that SSL is enabled and know our mail server address - mail.xxxxxxx.com. Upon setup of my Android mail, there are only so many settings to choose. Our authentication is our domain credentials and that works fine for access via webmail or an outlook app. On my phone there is a spot for a Client Certificate which it states as NONE, not sure if that matters. Basically Im trying to figure out what I need to do to make this work.

The older IT guys say that they have a Group in AD that you have to be a part of to have access to the mail server which Im not buying since I am a domain admin, but maybe Im wrong. I have looked at an AD account and mirrored their groups with my AD account and have had no luck yet. Mobile connectivity is enabled on Exchange and there are no quarantined devices. Any thoughts?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

I will definitely look into that since I believe they had this issue, or noticed they did, after the 2013 upgrade as well. I will report back, thank you.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

I ended up finding the cure for what was ailing Exchange. As it turns out, it was as easy as checking a box. The Inhereitable Permissions checkbox in AD needed to be checked for the probelematic accounts and applied and then everything magically worked. The thing I dont understand is that some of the other admin accounts that were working the entire time getting mail on the cell phone did not have this box checked.....

Here is a link to the fix:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back