Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting an iPaq to our Servers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrenb

MIS
Jan 20, 2000
GB
My boss has given me a Compaq iPaq H3630. We want to be able to connect to our SAP servers and use the handheld device just like the SAP client on the desktop PC's. Does anyone know how to do this, or where I can get some kind of idea?!?! If anyone knows of some websites with some info I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Darren

Hi Darren,

I have roughly the same task as what you described - I was wondering if you have had any success?

Nicole

Hi Nicole,

Basically we wanted to use out ERP system on the handheld device. Currently we use SAP, so the only easiest way for us to do this is via the Internet. We configured the SAP servers with an Internet transaction server so that similar functions were available on the iPaq as on normal desktops. With the iPaq, we bought the compact flash jacket and a Xircom CompactCard GSM so that we can connect the Nokia 5110 and 6110 mobile phones to it. We then configured the built in web browser on the iPaq with the modem (very easy) and connect to SAP. The cost of the GSM card was only about £60, and the Compact Flash Jacket was about £30. The speed isn't terribly fast, but it is bearable. When phone companies data capabilities advance over the next year, the modem will already be able to cope with 24400bps speeds, which is enough for running a few transactions over the web.

I hope I have helped you, and please feel free to ask me any questions.

Regards

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back