Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting a Router to use as a Network Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefl

Technical User
May 19, 2002
US
I would like to add a network printer to my network. I have a router, that is connected to my DSL modem, and I use the wireless connection for my laptop, two PC's wired running Linux, and one wired connection for my mythtv tuner and the fourth wired connection for my Linux MythTV PC. I have a second router which is gathering dust. I want to connect it and use it as a switch. I have turned off DHCP and set the IP address to 192.168.1.2. I plan on connecting connector 1 on the dust collector to connector 4 on the router with a cat 5 cable and then connecting the printer and one of the computers to connectors 2 and 3 on the dust collector with cat 5 cables. Anyone see any problem with doing this?

no, that should work but you may need a cross over cable

You would need a xover like North says for the connection between the routers, a static default route for the internet in the dust collector, and either different subnets for the printer a different subnet also for the pc (four subnets altogether---one for the first router and the switch mod built-in, one for the r-r connection, one for the printer connected to the dust collector and the last for the other pc in port 3 of the dust collector), or bridge all the connections in the dust collector.

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Thanks for the responses.

First they are both Cisco routers, a WRT320N is the one connected to the Internet and a WRT54G V8 is the dust collector.

I have a xover cable for the connection between the routers.

How do I bridge all the connections in the dust collector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back