Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting a Printer to the Legend (ver 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim E

Technical User
Jun 6, 2017
US
I've been using a Legend in my home, and would love to get the printed reports from the console menu (I'm not using WinSPM). I'd like to send the reports to an HP Laser Jet printer directly or thru the PC (WIN10) that the printer is connected to. The only references I can find in the Legend documentation are for connecting very old AT&T dot matrix printers. The laser jet has a lan jack.

Any advise welcome on how to connect.

Regards, Jim

The only output interface it has would be RS232, if I understand what you are looking to do. The RJ 45 on the processor isn't a LAN jack. It requires an AF355 RJ45 to 25 pin D connector converter. From there you would need a 9 pin to 25 pin converter and probably a USB to serial converter to connect to a PC. Then you would need Putty or a similar terminal app to translate to a text file.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Hi, thanks for the steps. Is there a way to go direct from the Legend processor to the Laser Jet printer? Regards, Jim

It's a serial port on the Legend - it's a parallel port on the printer. You need a serial to parallel converter in between.

Nope. You have to remember it is like 25-30 years old. Ethernet didn't exist for the general public. Everything was done by serial connection. By the late 90's the updated version of the Legend, the Magix, still only had a serial connection. It wasn't until the early 2000's that the IP Office took over the Magix's role. That was when ethernet was available for the AT&T\Lucent\Avaya product line.

Stupid part is you would need the same setup to use WinSPM. I use an old XP machine with a had serial to run WinSPM because it is flaky on Win 7 with a USB converter. I am not sure it would even run on Win 10. I haven't tried.

@TTT I would bet a Laser printer doesn't even have a printer port...[smile]

The only printer I got working on the Legend was a dot matrix printer.
Mike

At one time, I remember reading a suggestion that if someone had a computer with appropriate ports, the data could be captured to a program such as Excel. [ponder]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

I have a Legend in my home as well, just playing/for fun, and if you're not familiar with serial/RS-232, the easiest/fastest way to set it up, is to get a Lucent 355A adapter, which adapts the jack on the unit (printer jack is the upper one) to a DB25 serial port. From there you can get adapters to adapt the 25pin serial to 9 pin serial, then a USB to serial adapter to connect it to a modern computer.

Once you plug in the USB > Serial adapter, you need to go into device manager under com/ports to see which Com port the usb adapter is.

You can then use terminal software such as Putty to connect to the serial port (1200 baud), and if you hit print on the console, you'll see your report write out on the screen. In addition, you can set putty to spit out its contents to a printer as well.

Supposedly there was a device you could get for the Merlin that would queue up a report and spit it out to a printer; you can find it in the manuals, but nowadays with some ingenuity this could be done with a $5 rasp pi and some adapters.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back