Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting a new circuit dropped a smartjack

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpethBWP

MIS
Jan 20, 2006
US
Hey all..just getting some general feedback if anyone has ever seen something like this.

At one of our remote sites their is a smartjack that has 7 cricuits in it. 5 belong to another company while 2 belong to us. Of those 2 one is for a new P2P that we are installing. This new P2P is located in position 7(based on the ID card the LEC left and nothing plugged into it) with the 5 circuits that do not belong to us in pos 1-5. Above this smartjack their is an extension block which runs from the dmarq to our suite..

I located an open port on this extension block, went to our suite and toned it out (to make sure I was on our equipment), removed my toner, came back and plugged a cat 5 cable into Pos 7 on the smartjack and the port I traced on the extension block.

At that point everything in the smartjack went into alarm. So that brought the 5 circuits for this other company down.

I assured this other company I would not leave until they were up but after 5-6 hours of the LEC not showing up I decided to reach out to some of our resources at the LEC. THe final fix was resetting the fiber cards in this other companies MUX.

Has anyone ever had something like this happen to them? I still do not in anyway see how plugging a cable into my circuit had any effect on their mux.

I tried to explain to the other company that this was just a bad coincidence but understandably that is hard for them to believe.

Haven't seen it, but I would call and have telco come out and have them witness it then fix it

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

What is the make and model of the Multi-Mount Housing for the NIUs?

"Murphy" operates in strange ways! Probably just coincidence.

I had a similar thing happen with a DSL ckt in a rats' nest phone closet. It got inadvertently pulled when trying to clear a block of dead jumpers for a new client once.

....JIM....

is the rack housing the LEC R cards grounded?

From what i recall all the equipment is grounded though I will be heading back out there this week to try and get this circuit running again..

Hopefully without bringing another company down! =)

It sounds to me like you have a dropped pair. What I would do is the following. Make a hard loop at the smart jack, once you do that, it should green right up and you can run test patterns through it. Once you identified that circuit as YOURS, go to your punch down blocks and patch White to white and blue to orange, that will make a hard loop at the punch down blocks, keep doing that until you get to your final drop point and that will help with your faults, either that or you could find someone with a t-bird and test from each point, I preferr hard loops as it is WAY faster. I worked at MA bell for almost a decade as a repair tech....

Justin "T-Bone" Horodeck
Custom Airbrushing

Need to agree with PerryPJ, this is not your place to troubleshoot the smartjack. Have telco come out for a site visit and repeat it for them and then have them fix it. Make sure the other company is aware and schedule the time with them also so they know they will be down.

Phillip E. Porter
Senior Systems Engineer
Telecommunication Solutions Group, Inc. (TSG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back