Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting a MSA30 to DL380 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark83t

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2004
AU
I need to connect a DL380 to the second channel of a MSA30. I powered down the server and attach the scsi cable and turned on the server. It goes through the smart array configuration for about 10mins then comes up with no os found and half the lights have turned off on the disks. Can anyone tell me what i need to do to get this to work? Do i have to configure the array before i connect it to the server?

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

What series of the DL380 are you using? How are you connecting both channels of the MSA30 to the server? Are you using an array controller NOT built onto the system board? Are you also using the internal drives on the server? I believe the external port is "shared" if you're using the internal drive bays.

Hi Blister911
The server is a DL380 G3.
I am only connecting one chanel to this server as the first channel of the MSA is connected to another server.
Yes there are internal hard drives with server 2k3 loaded.

Thanks

Mark,

How is the drive bays in the server set up? Simplex or duplex? Pop the case, on top near the back of the drives, there should be a light that designates if the array controller is in simplex or duplex mode. Again, I believe the external port shares a channel with one of the externals. If your server is in duplex mode, then both channels are already being used internally.

Greg

Sorry about the typo.
Again, I believe the external port shares a channel with one of the INTERNALS.

I have a slight problem in that i can't open the case. The rack in a mess and if i try to pull this server out it will disconnect another server. But i have looked in the acu and it has Physical Drives Attached to Port 1 and port 2. Does this mean it is running in duplex mode?

Yes, I think that's what it's telling you.

I put a link to the DL380 G3 User Guide. I think what you're looking for starts on page 99. Although, the documentation states that the server ships standard in simplex mode.

What you need to do is open the case and see if there is a SCSI terminator connected to the daughter board behind the hard drives. If there is, then it's in duplex mode

Excellent, Thanks for your help with this. Will have a look after hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back