Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting a LINKSYS ROUTER to a DLINK WIRELESS ROUTER 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danica

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
US
Hello there everyon! I'm new here. I've got an interesting situation that I'm looking for help with. I have a linksys 4 port non-wireless router that I'd like to hook up to a DLINK wireless 4 port router. I love my linksys and don't want to just replace it on the network (I have other reasons for doing it this way too.) I am wondering if there is a way to hook the DLINK router up to the Linksys so I'm essentially just using the DLINK as a wireless access point. The DLINK does have an uplink port and I've heard that I can use a standard networking cable connected to the uplink port on the DLINK and then to one of the LAN ports on the Linksys router. That should then enable the WLAN for the DLINK without messing with my current network. Are there any other settings changes that need to be made when using this method? Some people say I've got to enabled/disable DHCP on the DLINK/Linksys or just do nothing. I'm really not sure what to do...Thanks!

(I am going to assume the Linksys is at its default settings, so adjust IPs if you have changed them)

Connect wired directly to the D-Link from your computer. No other clients connected. Access its setup.

. Set a static IP address of 192.168.1.2, subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.1.1
. disable DHCP
. set to Router instead of Gateway mode
. set your SSID, Channel Number, WEP settings, and infrastructure mode.

Exit the setup. Plug your computer back into the Linksys.

Cabling the Two Routers.
The only special thing about an Uplink port as opposed to a regular port, is that it avoids the need to use a cross-over cable when connecting devices such as these together.

So, one end of the cable has to go to the uplink port, the other end a regular port. It does not matter which router uplink port you use, as long as the other side is a regular lan port.

The WAN connection is made through the Linksys WAN port.

Turn on the Linksys, let it stabilize. Turn on the D-Link, let it stabilize. Turn on the rest of your computers.

Done.

Danica,

Setting:

[Modem]---[Linksys]----[Dlink]

I'm not very particular with the Dlink router you have in there but here are some settings:

- Connect computer to one of the ports of the Dlink router
- Launch an internet explorer and type this: 192.168.0.1
- It would ask for a username and password:
Username: Admin
Password:
Then click ok
- Do not select the wizard instead try this:

Select Wireless:
Change SSID (Type any - So that you'll know where you're connecting at)
Change channel to a different one (Either 11 or 1 - So that it'll not have any null effect having the same channel as with your other access point is)
Enable WEP (For security purposes)

Select LAN:
Change the IP Address to: 192.168.1.2 (By default the IP Address of the linksys router is set to 192.168.1.1 **Note: if you've change the IP Address already on the linksys router to a different IP Address change it to it same segment like 10.10.10.XXX). Be sure that it is running the same subnet.

Select Advance:
(I'm not particular with where you could address this one but I'm positive that it would be under the router's selection or dynamic routing)
Change the Working mode from gateway to Router mode.

** Make sure that you save all the changes before proceeding **

After making these changes, connect your linksys router using the uplink port to the regular port of your Dlink (Uplink - Port 1).

Note: If your purpose of setting up the Dlink Access Point router to a roaming one, better have the SSID and WEP the same with the linksys router.

Hope This helps!

Thanks for all of this everyone. I was able to get the wireless modem up and running succesfully. However....I've discovered that I am not getting good reception on my wireless devices. I expected this, however, as the wireless modem is on a different floor than where I'd like to use my pocket pc. So, this causes me to ask a new question. I have a hub that is connected like this:

Linksys router -----> Hub ---------> Comp1
\-------> Comp2
\--------> Free Port

Would it be possible to connect the standard cable to the free port on the hub (which does go directly to the router) and then connect that cable to the uplink port on the dlink? Essentially all I want to do is place a hub in the way of the connection of the dlink's uplink port to the linksys regular port.

If I understand your diagram correctly (hey, where did this hub come from?), yes.

Make sure you follow the static ip, subnet and gateway settings suggested earlier on the D-Link.

The hub was on a seperate floor...outside of the main question! Heheh

Oh, by the way the free port is ON the hub....not the router....I realize the diagram might be a bit off

Danica,

Yes it would work! just make sure that:

Ports (1 & 2)
[Linksys]----------------[HUB]----------------[Dlink]
Uplink to Regular Regular to Uplink

Make sure that it is Uplink to regular connection from one device to another. If you would be connecting regular top regular port, better use a cross-over cable.

having some troubles once i change over to Router status on Linksys Router.
Right now its on Gateway but when i change it to router i'm lost in lala land.

help.....

cheesecake,

[pc2]what kind of trouble?if ur goin to set the linksys router to 'router' mode...it will no longer give you ip address...it will just act as an ordinary switch

Got it working. I used ICS instead just because. :)
Have W2k box with 2nics one goes to Linksys WireRouter
and other goes to D-Link Wireless Router.
192.168.1.1xx for one and 192.168.0.1xx for the other
all is well.

couldn't get other situation to work thou..

what's the diff between gateway style and router style on the linksys??

OMG. Thanks BCASTNER!!!

Found out my dumb ip number was messed up for the wireless. it was pointing to nothing. dUH...

Thanks =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back