Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting a Laserjet 4L to a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmeljacques

Technical User
Dec 18, 2006
US
I recently purchsed a Mac running OS X and an HP Photosmart C5180 all-in-one. The setup works fine but I wonder whether there is some way to also connect my old Laserjet 4L as a second/backup printer. Is there some device that will enable me to connect the 4L's parallel port connector to my Mac's USB port. I know there is a connector that makes it possible to connect a Microsoft mouse with a USB connector to the round port on older PCs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

HP used to sell a parallel to usb wire. It was not cheap, about 30 dollars. It was available in Compusa and most online retailers. I don't know if they still sell it. Epson also had one but that was discontinued years ago

We had a bunch of these when Apple dumped the serial port for usb. They worked fine with our various Epson and HP printers, but that was in the pre OSX days.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

HP makes the JET DIRECT series of print servers. There might be one that would work with the 4L and make it a network printer.

Lantronix also makes print servers. Check out their website and see what they have to offer.

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back