Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting a Cisco Router to BT ADSL Service through a NetGear Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjg

Vendor
Jul 14, 2002
HK
I really need a few new pointers for this one.

I have a NetGear DG814, I have got it running in BRIDGING mode rather than in its default ROUTER mode. This means that I now have to run a PPPoE client on my PC to connect to the internet instead of having the router connect and log into the BT ADSL service.

You may be thinking why am I doing it this way when ROUTER mode is giving me access with some security through PAT. Well, its because I'm trying to run IP Telephony services across the WEB and need to set up a VPN server (the DG814 in ROUTER mode only supports VPN passthrough).

The NetGear box is running PPPoA on its BT WAN interface and of course Ethernet on it LAN port. This means that I have to run a PPPoE client on my PC (not PPPoA).

Now here is the crunch: -

I have a Cisco 2620 router that I want to connect to the Internet, so that I can create IPSEC tunnels and use as a firewall, It will also be running CCME (its all for a lab).
I have followed many VPDN examples, but I'm going wrong somewhere as I just can not get the Cisco box to connect to the BT service.....Please can someone help me.

The topology looks as follows: -

BT ADSL ISP--(ATM)--NetGear Bridge--(Ethernnet)---Cisco2620

Thanks

What is the firmware version on the DG814, and what PPPoW client are you runnin gon the PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back