Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting a CDRW

Status
Not open for further replies.

coppertone

Programmer
Feb 19, 2002
US
Hi all, hope someone can help me.

My Brother has a 6 month old computer (so it should have a decent spec.) It already has a DVD drive
and now he is looking to add a CDRW. I was wondering what would be the best setup regarding
master/slave setup with the hard drive, dvd and cdrw drives.
My opinion would be to make the DVD drive a slave to the Hard drive on one IDE and put the CDRW on
the other IDE on its own as master. Is this the best way or does anyone know a better way.

Thanks, coppertone.

coppertone,

put the cd-rw on as a slave to the dvd-drive.
if you put it on the same cable as the hdd, then all it will do is slow down the hdd, as dvd's and cd drives have much slower data rates than hard drives.

Scotsdude

What kind of system is it? Many systems you find in retail stores, ie compaq, HP or sony, prefer you install the new drive with the jumpers set to Cable Select. The only way to find out if you need to set the new drive as Cable Select is either to check the cable for labeling (you'll see IDE0/IDE1 or Master/Slave markings on the data cable right below the ide connectors) or check the DVD drive to see how it is set. I agree with Scotsdude that you should put the drive on the same ide channel as the DVD.
hg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back