Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting 6480 to Cisco via frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon1293

Vendor
Oct 1, 2004
US
I have a situation where a customer is trying to hook up another connection via a 512 frame ckt from a Passport 6480 (7.06) on a DS1 card to a Cisco 1700. I have never connected to a Cisco and am having trouble getting the protocol to come up. Is there anything that I need to do different on the passport than I would do for a connection to another passport?

Lost

Stumbled accross my answer....
Using PPPseems to work ok...

Using PPP is one way, but you also may want to try setting the encapsulation on the cisco interface to "encapsulation frame-relay ietf", rather than just "encapsulation frame-relay". The 'IETF' version is the standards-based FR - without the IETF modifier, ciscos use the cisco proprietary FR which Passports, or any other non-cisco device, won't interwork with.
One warning about doing this, though: the encapsulation has to match at both ends of the DLCI. If you have one (cisco) router configured to do the IETF version of FR and the other end expecting the proprietary version, it won't work. So if the cisco that you are connecting to your passport has multiple DLCIs going to remote cisco routers on which have the proprietary version configured, you will need to change EACH remote router interface to also be IETF if you change the central router's interface to be IETF!
This probably won't be the case for you, dragon1293, because it sounds like you have only one connection (FR DLCI, PPP, whatever) that you want to get going. Just a trap to be aware of when you start looking for more than one connection from Cisco to Passport...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back