Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting 2610's back to back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciscoguy

Technical User
Jun 25, 2000
ZA
I have 2 x 2610's and wish to connect them back to back, any idea how to do it? I have a DCE to DTE cable but I cannot remember how to set up the serial ports.

! for the DCE device<br>interface Serial0<br>&nbsp;ip address 192.168.3.4 255.255.255.0<br>&nbsp;bandwidth 500000<br>&nbsp;clockrate 500000<br><br>! for the DTE device<br>!<br>interface Serial0<br>&nbsp;ip address 192.168.3.2 255.255.255.0<br>&nbsp;bandwidth 500000<br>!<br><br>Works fine, last long time. Don't forget to seup some routing or you will not pass traffic no matter what.<br><br>Mike<br>

wybnormal's response is good except the command for the bandwith should not have any zeros. So you should type &quot;bandwith 56&quot; instead of &quot;bandwith 56000&quot; and I also have a special DTE/DCE cable made just for labs. It is one 3 feet cable. If you want one call me at 214 274 9990.

You are right, I just re-read my response and see that I had clock rate on the mind when I typed in the bandwidth line. Good proof of always checking your work before you click &quot;ok&quot; or press &quot;return&quot;<br><br>Mike

Bandwidth has no actual effect on the bandwidth. It's used by routing protocols to determine metrics, etc. The main lines needed is the clockrate and the following line on the DCE side:

dce terminal-timing enable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back