Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting 2 wirelss routers together

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexter195

Programmer
Jun 18, 2003
EU
Hi,

I have two wireless routers. I need to be able to connect the two of them together using the wireless only. I cant have any physical wires connecting them together (Which would make my life a lot easier)

Is this possible at all?

Thanks for the help

Hi

If you want to connect a wireless router to an existing router, you need to set the second router as an access point. This way it will act as a hub but will allow you to pass IPs from the DHCP of the first router. If you can't set the second router in access point mode then you won't be able to do this unless the two routers are the same model, then you may be able to bridge the two, but that creates a whole new set of issues.

Best thing to do is go into the router interface(open a browser and type the IP of the router) in the setup pages you should find a place to set the router as a Gateway, or as an Access Point. If you don't see those options then you won't be able to use it this way. You may also need to turn off DHCP on the second router(it usually does this automatically when set to access point.

Trevor

thats great. thanks Trevor, ill give that a go.

dexter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back