Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting 2 PCs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

madHatter1

Technical User
Feb 27, 2003
GB
Hello

I have 2 PCs, an older one (we will call this PC A) using W98 and with an Internet connection, and another (which we will call PC B),using WindowsXP connected to a printer.

I want to be able to connect to the Internet from PC B via PC A, and to be able to print from PC A via PC B. Sorry if this sounds complicated!

Or is this not the best way to do this?

Is it best to physically link the two PCs via a cable (the PCs are not physically close to one another), or is there another way of doing it?

Many thanks for any helpful replies.

Hatter

There's more than one way to network computers. If only the 2 are involved and are closer than 100 meters, a simple CAT 5/5e/6 Ethernet cross-over cable will work.

I find that WinXP likes to be 'top dog', have the Dial-Up/modem/phone line and Internet Connection Sharing installed and the Win98 would connect through it.

If using DSL/cable modem, use a router and connect both computer to it with CAT 5/5e/6 straight-through cable.

as for the shared printers.

Make sure to have xp instal the win98 printer drivers in addition to the xp drivers already installed. Without this, you wont be able to print from your 98 box.

and as for the internet connection sharing.

blu is right, I have never had much luck with an xp connecting through a 98. but the other way round works fine.

Robert Carpenter
--------------------
"Isn't it funny how you are perfectly content with being alone until nobody else is?"
--------------------
robert@convertingchaos.com
convertingchaos.com

You could invest in wireless network (more expensive than wired - but no wires!).

Is your internet connection dial-up or broadband? If broadband, i'd advise getting a router to plug internet into to share connection. Also provides protection (better than software firewall IMO). And routers are reasonably priced now (even wireless ones are not too expensive - don't know where you are - I'm in UK - definitely cheaper in US).

Many thanks to you all for your replies, and my apologies for the delay in replying!

Best wishes

Hatter

Hi:

I'm interested in doing the same as you did. Just 2 PC with a ethernet direct wire from the XP (which has an integrated network port) and the laptop which has an adapter card. I'm only interested in getting data from one to the other, no internet applications.

I have a Dell XP Pro and a Dell WIn98 laptop with a network adapter card..

I started once with the XP Wizard but lost my way as I didn't understand some of the feedback info.

Did you end up with a working system?

Thanks for any info you can supply.

Salbee2@erols.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back