Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting 2 LANs in same office 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

niallw

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2002
GB
I want to connect 2 LANs that are located in the same building. (Both ethernet, TCP/IP).
One network served by W2K Pro, other by NT4 server. Each network uses DHCP for IP assignment.
What is the best way to link them, without them being "physically" connected via the switches etc?
I have installed a second NIC in the W2k server, and tried using this as a gateway - doesn't work, and I am getting problems with DHCP addressing. Any tips most welcome!

You want to link two networks without them being "physically" connected?? What are you trying to achieve?

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Trying to keep the two LANs separate, each with own PDC, DHCP etc. Unless this will work with the networks linked?

You could put them on separate VLANS on a switch, or separate switches but connect the two networks with a router. The router won't forward any broadcasts by default so DHCP shouldn't be a problem for each network.

Just an idea.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

I agree with chrisac. Sounds like you need a router. You won't be able to connect the two networks on the same switch because, as you noted, the conflicts with DHCP requests, etc. Therefore you need to have both networks route to each other (as opposed to bridging or being on the same segment). You can use a PC in between with two NICs and have the PC route using some kind of virtual router software. I don't know one off hand but I'm someone on this forum does.

Yeah, router is definately the way to go. If you have an old pc , 2 nics and a little time offers a free fully functional version of their router os software. IT is very easy to install and setup... just READ the manual. It is basically some version of linux that they made proprietary, the interface is pretty easy to use, and once you set up an ip on just one card you can use a java applet on the server to administer the whole thing graphically. Also lrp was bought out by some folks who have done kinda the same thing with it, try The mikrotik os is cool though, as it is much easier to setup than linux and has most of the functionality of linux any end-user would ever need.

I am hoping I am at the right place....I have a small network at home and have been trying to learn how best to setup for VPN with another individual to play with w2k.
I have kinda great detail on how I wanna set this up but the more I want to do the more i realize this stuff is complex but if I learn this the better. Anyone with extensive networking experience please chime and let me know if you even want me to post. thanx in advance
dave

how can i connet two office with two router if i have same network address in both offices

Two networks, two servers for logon Authorizations?.
Both Networks have a Primary server that are multihomed etc. Is this Correct?
How many users on each segment? Include Hosts and Two IP vaalues for NICS for each doamin segment
Establish a trust between Servers One way or bio-directional.
W2K Server; (Domain Name)
DHCP Server (Ip address: Reserve from Pool)
1st Nic (Host Network Values, Domain Name, Wins, and gateways etc}
2nd Nic Connects to Windows Server

Windows NT: Domain Name
DHCP Server (Ip address: Reserve from Pool)
Ist Nic (Host Netwrok Values Domain name, WINS,and gateways etc}
2nd Nic Connects to 2nd Nic on W2K

. Route once; switch many

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back