Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting 2 forests with exchange 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darph

MIS
Jun 27, 2003
US
OK, here is the situation I am looking at - and I have an 'idea' of how it could be done, but it seems quite painful so I thought I would ask for a 2nd/3rd/~ opinion.

1. I am working for a company (company A) who just acquired Company B.

2. Company A has a mixed mode AD network running exchange 5.5 and their email addresses are Username@CompanyA.com

3. Company B has a native AD network running exchange 5.5 and their email addresses are Username@CompanyB.com

4. The final product will be connecting the sites together over the WAN and changing all email addresses to fisrtname.lastname@CompanyC.com, while still having aliases set up to allow the people to receive emails at their old addresses for a bit.

I was shown the plan they have in place now, and I am wondering if A) It will work properly and B) there might be a better/easier way to do it.

The idea is to use Win2K/Exchange2K bridgehead servers to connect the sites (would this need to be an x.400 connector, or could I use SMTP? Different forests and all that...) and to use those servers to route the mail to the 3 different domain names. Does that make sense as it has been described? If not, just ask and I will clarify as best I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back