Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting 2 computers using modems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi could anyone help me, I have 2 pcs and I have heard its possible to link the 2 using there modems to communicate. The trouble I'm having is that one won't answer the other.

Anyone help me please????

email me replies sdolmanuk@yahoo.co.uk

Ususal problem is the modem isn't set to answer. Via a switch (USR switch 5 fir example) or via the registers (ats0=1 in USR to answer on 1st ring). Different modems have different command sets so you need to read the manual. Modem should answer just about independent of anything else. Using it may be the next question. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Came across this thread doing a search for connecting 2 computers. Just got a second computer (celeron 633mhz & 15gig hd) and have Mandrake 7.2 on it and windows95 on this 133mhz pentium dinosaur. Was wondering if it would be possible to link the 2 and the best way to do it. Still do not have a modem working in the new machine.

it would be easier to try to help each of you if you specified why you want to connect the computers. If you need to transfer a few files, open a comm program on each end, issue atx3dt on one and ata on the other with a standard phone cable connecting the modems. Then use the software's file transfer commands to send from one side and receive on the other. If you are doing anything more involved than a few files, get network cards and a crossover cable.

Thanks reskew, transfering a few files would be the extent of my use. Looks like getting mandrake to recognize my modem is still my biggest problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back