Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting 2 Computers Easily

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMara

Technical User
Dec 23, 2001
CA
I was hoping someone could help me. I want to connect a desktop to a laptop. Both computers have network cards, and i have a wire i can use to connect them, but no hub. both computers also have modems, which i can connect by a phone wire. the laptop runs win 2000, amd the desktop win 98se. I want to know the most inexpensive and easiest way to connect these two computers (if possible, using the limited equipment i have). Also, what software would i need to do this, would dcc work?

I need to connect these computers to transfer files from one to the other once in awhile, I do not require internet connection sharing or anything like that.

please when answering, i would appreciate any approx prices for any equipment you might recommend, and general ideas for where it might be found.

thanks in advance

to connect the computers, a crossover ethernet cable should be enough, although a hub is nice, for diagnostics. either one should be under $20

I would try ebay, but in part that is because I am remote to any stores.

I love everyone til they prove otherwise, sadly some prove otherwise SO quickly

I have now acquired a parallel cable, would this be useful to connect the computers? How could this be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back