Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting 2 computer via 10/100 fast ethernet adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Anyone know any sites with some good information on it?

need to read up befor i just jump in.

I don't know the version(s) of windows you are trying to connect but this is the basic configuration in 95/98 and ME isn't too different from these. I hope I understand correctly that you are trying to connect two home pc's through the NIC 10/100's by directly connecting the two with a cable (not through a hub). Hope this helps

you need to buy a crossover Twisted Pair Ethernet cable and not a straight thru twisted pair Ethernet cable. I would get a CAT 5 cable. If you know how long you want the cable it might be easier to get one with molded connectors that comes in a package. The Cable is exactly the same, the RJ45 connectors are just wired differently.

You can buy an autosensing hub or switch for about $50.00.
A hub is usually Half Duplex, and a Switch is full duplex.
Full duplex means you can send and receive at the same time.

Another way to do this is to get some adapters that let you do the networking over the existing phone lines in the house. That isnt quite as fast, but then you dont have to run any cables. The cabling can be expensive if you have 3 or 4 computers. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Sorry shoulda provided more info :
I have 2 nic cards in my main i set one to my secondary comp-"other goes to modem".
I'm only setting up the other computer for mass hardrives im not going to setup a cd rom or monitor"well i will have to but once im done configing it they get torn out".

:main comp
1.2 athlon 500mb (win 98)
gigabyte ga-7zxr-c (dual bios)
:secondary
350mhz Cyrix 110-128 ram (no os as of yet)
:backup "if i decide to get a hub"

!!!Should i Switch to Win Nt server or 2000 server ??

I registerd a account i will use this site "fast replies and.. uh .. well u actually get replies!".

thanks

Hi
I have a desktop running on win98 and a laptop running on winME and I was trying to connect these comps with a RJ-45 x-over cable, but havent successfully done it. I dont know what seem to be the problem because i set up all the network configs right and just that the comp that's being linked does not show up on network neighborhood, only the current comp itself shows on it. I also tried direct connection, but still doesn't work. please help...

stasls,
Here is a website that offers some info about basic ethernet (10/100BaseT) networking.
You may want to read Parts 1 & 2 also.
If you are just connecting 2 computers and don't plan to connect more computers in the foreseeable future, disregard the reference to connecting a hub and use a crossover cable instead. If you decide to add more computers all you will lose is the price of the crossover cable.

gtricebitc,
Are you sure you have a crossover cable?
Are the link lights lit on your NICs?
Check the cable with an ohmmeter to be sure that the Transmit and Receive lines cross. Otherwise, you will be in constant collision.
Read the article above it may help.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

John

i dont you if it matters... but i'm currently using usb port for dsl and have a nic installed in my desktop... i'm connecting the xover cable between the nic on my desktop and my laptop but doesn't seem to work... i dont know if usb port and nic will interrupt each other... maybe it's because i cant network the comps when i'm using the dsl? i'm totally confused... plz help...

gtricebitc,

With a DSL connection your computer is assigned a permanent IP address. This is probably conflicting with the address Windows assigns to your computer.
If you have Win98SE you can use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and Windows will setup a compatible address.

If you don't want to use ICS or you don't have Win98SE:
Remove the NIC's TCP/IP protocol under Control Panel - Network and it will just use NetBEUI protocol. That should solve your problem.

I don't know a lot about setting up DSL, especially USB DSL, so I could be wrong. If all else fails contact your DSL provider and they should be able to help you set it up correctly.

John

At home I have a linksys switch (fancy hub) it only cost about $48.00 and I run all of my network cables to it for 3 computers. Switches can send and receive to multiple computers at the same time in full duplex mode. With just a hub you have to compete for the existing bandwidth. I don't recommend using a X-over cables.

I use to use a 3Com Hub, but when it was connected to my cable modem it shorted out when lightning struck the telephone pole. Lucky for me it didnt take out every computer. I am assuming similar damage could occur to anyone on a phone line as well.

Linksys also makes a DSL/cable router that will act as a firewall and split up the single IP address to several computers. However I think it is a little more pricey. I don't think you can get windows to share a static IP Address without some special program or server. If the DSL people can see 2 computers with the same IP Address this may cause problems also. On a network the IP addresses have to be unique. I am not sure if this applies to DSL?

I used a program called microsoft homeclick that sets up the networking that came with the 3Com ethernet cards. It seems to work pretty well. When I went to Win ME I had to manually install the IPX/SPX for some reason. A lot of games use IPX/SPX. In ME they tried to use a networking wizard, but I couldnt get that to work right. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

thanx for the tips guyz... but i simply want to share drive between my comps, i dont really need the laptop to go online... just need the comps be able to transfer files with each other. wouldn't u think a x-over cable it sufficient?

A crossover cable will work fine. Remove the NIC's TCP/IP protocol and make sure you have NetBEUI protocol installed. That should solve your problem.
Read the my earlier posts for more info.

John

i currently have a usb dsl modem... i'm wondering if there's such thing as usb to ethernet adaptor (usb in and rj-45 out). i can only find ethernet in and usb out...

ceh4702,

Since I own a Linksys Router/Switch, I can definitely tell you that you can "share" a static IP address. The reason is that router/switch gets assigned the IP address whether static or dynamic. To your DSL provider, all they see is one MAC address, the one that the Linksys displays. All other MAC addresses on your internal LAN are hidden to the outside world. All your machines internally connect to the Linksys router in the same way, i.e., they see the Linksys as a gateway. Each machine does not depend on any other machine. You don't even have to configure your web browser to even see the router/switch. Use the LAN settings for both Netscape and IE and the browser understands not to go looking for a modem. You don't even need to setup proxy server settings and I would recommend that you don't anyway because it won't work if you try.

Phillip Chee
Learning Commons Technologist

actiontech a maker of call-waiting modems has a USB networking kit for setting up networking thru the USB ports. It comes with some software to set it up. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back