Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting 2 buildings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHXAZ

Technical User
Jun 1, 2010
US
I have 2 buildings that I need to tie togwether they are about 150 ft apart, my opriona are fiber and copper in a consuit (trenching will be needed trhu a parking lot) we are looking at what would be more cost efficient.
and avoid making a mess in the parking lot.
is there a wireless solutin taht can work we need atlist a 1gig connection between the buildings.

Probably the best you will get in an unlicensed product is 150 MBps.

Licensed, you can expect 300-500 MBps.

1GB+ will be tough and very expensive for a 150' connection.

If cutting the parking lot is not an option, the path under the parking lot could probably be directionally drilled to go under.

I would assume though that you could get a crew to saw cut the parking lot on the weekend cheaper than you can get a high speed/high reliability wireless connection.

You might look into shoirt range optical links. But I hope you dont live wher it rais or there is fog.

Point-to-point microwave is available. What kind of traffic is planned for this route: voice, data?

....JIM....

We are going to do Voice and Data.
we are looking for the best solution for the money, a direct fiber connection would be best. but microwave might be a good solution. thank you for the response.

The Proxim can mix 'virtual' T1s with the Ethernet. A T1 will reduce Ethernet by 2 Mbps, it can do 16, which would 'cost' 32 Mbps of the 622 Mbps. Technically they are E1s, but they will work for voice.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back