Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connected to vpn server but cant access network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2003
IN
Hi my problem is this i can connect to my office vpn server but i cant browse , i cant connect to any machine on my office network , i cant ping any machine, i have a verizone dsl connetion in home , coming to my router linksys wireless access point router and then my desk top connected to the router .and have my laptop accessing the internet through wireless card , i have my cisco client installed on my laptop and when i connet with the vpn ip address it connects with the user id and password , but cant access anything after connecting.

im thinking if i have to any other setting on my desktop on the linksys configuration page , think there are lot of peopl who can help me on this .
Thank you

quoted from VPN clients can't browse remote computers in Network Neighborhood/My Network Places

Symptoms: 1) When using VPN to browse the network or a specific server, you may receive the message System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found. 2) The VPN clients can't browse remote computers in in Network Neighborhood/My Network Places

Resolutions: Inability to browse often means the client can't resolve NetBIOS names. 1) Make sure the client has correct DNS, WINS Master Browser settings. 2) Make sure the default gateway points to the remote network rather than to the ISP. 3) By default, most routers and firewalls prevent the transmission of NetBIOS names unless you enable UDP ports 137 and 138 and TCP port 139. 4) Some ISP might block ports required for NetBIOS name broadcasts. 5) If WINS address is not distributed upon connection to VPN, LMHOSTS should be
configured to enable Domain to be located. 6) If you try these techniques and the client still can't browse, try to use UNC to connect to the remote LAN, for example, use the net use h: \\servername\sharename command.

Robert MS-MVP & MCSE

prolly a silly question, but I've seen it happen before, your not using the same private subnet for home & office?

I have a similar such problem. I had a wireless linksys router set up with one computer hardwired and one laptop with a wireless pci card. When I directly connected the laptop to the DSL modem, I had no problem. I connected like normal and then was able to access features such as e-mail through microsoft exchabge network. However, when connected wirelessly, I had a problem. The Cisco VPN seemed to connect normally and was connected to the server, but the e-mail and other VPN features were not accessible, claiming that the remote server was not available. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

is your network card getting ip address automatically or is it assigned?

If you haven't already tried it you might want to use the Cisco set mtu utility under the Cisco VPN program group and set the MTU to 1300 for the adapter/connection with the problem. I read this solution in another post and it worked like a magic bullet for me. It requires a reboot although like most I tried first before rebooting and no luck. After the reboot all my problems with netbios over VPN went away. I am using the same equipment and everything worked fine cabled to the router and failed when using wirless.

With the Linksys and the wireless card the the card WPC11 ver.4 will not work with the Cisco VPN Client, however the WPC11 ver.3 card will work just fine.

The Reason:
According to Linksys the two cards have a different manufacture for the chipsets in them.

I have returned many of the ver.4 cards to Linksys RMA @949-271-5461.

Hope it helps.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back