Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connected routes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimboNJ

ISP
Sep 5, 2008
US
Long time reader, first time poster here.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to stop this problem from happening. If we build a channelized T1 interface for a customer T1 with numbered interfaces, and the customer equipment has the wrong IP on it, it seems this makes our router add a route for that IP even though it doesn't match the interface.

Example-
Fake customer CPE is an Adit 600 with a 192.168.100.1/30 IP for a WAN address. Our Cisco serial interface is:
interface Serial0/0/0/3:0
description Test T1
ip address 209.204.92.229 255.255.255.252
encapsulation ppp
load-interval 30
no fair-queue
no cdp enable
end

Cisco5#show ip route connected
C 192.168.100.1 is directly connected, Serial0/0/0/3:0

The root of my concern here is a piece of CPE with an incorrectly numbered WAN interface bumped a customer today.

The prospect of access-listing every interface on the network is not appealing and I'm not sure that would stop the routing table entry from being created.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

This is happening because you're using PPP. PPP automatically adds host routes for the opposite side of a connection. Switch to HDLC or something else and it won't happen.

I guess I should clarify by saying that Cisco's HDLC is not necessarily compatible with the HDLC used by other vendors. Verify that it will work before you try it. I think there might also be a PPP command that turns off the addition of that host route, now that I think about it. I haven't had to know that in about seven years, so my memory is hazy.

Ah, here it is: no peer neighbor-route.

Add that command to your interfaces and see if that fixes your problem.

Fantastic, this looks like exactly what I was looking for. I knew there had to be a command for this, but it has been some time since I was deeply involved with T1 buildouts.

Many thanks jneiberger!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back