Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connect XPpro and XPhome machines access problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Japetto12

Technical User
Aug 9, 2001
US
hello.. i am running a windowsXP Home machine and have a WindowsXP Pro machine I'm trying to connect & use file sharing with. I am able to share and access the C: drive on the XPpro PC from the XPhome PC, but when I try vice versa, the XPpro machine will always give me the message: "\\computer-name is not accessible. "You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied."

I am using an Administrator account on both machines. I can't find the inconsistency in either machine, they are set up identically as far as I can tell. If anyone could give me any help it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this.

You will be better posting this to forum779, but I suspect the problem is the way in which Xp Pro & Xp home share files & folders in different ways - i.e Xp Pro is more suited to a complex network environment, Xp Home is not so uses SFS (simple file sharing).

[small]Listen to those who know, believe in those that do[/small]

SjrH is correct, but you can switch XP Pro to SFS also make sure both machines are on the same workgroup. You might want to make sure they are on the same default gateway.

Simple file sharing is not the issue. Even if disabled on the XP Pro machine the connection can succeed. It is clearly a permissions issue. Consider if you will that if this was true than XP Pro could not be networked with any previous version of Windows from Win3.1 to presumably by this claim XP Home edition; a circumstance that is not only true in fact but clearly not an intended consequence of filestore and share security measures in XP Pro edition.

One thing to check for is that I have found many Dell, HP and COMPAQ OEM pre-installed images of XP Home that were missing rights. Here is my solution for this problem that led to a revision in the OEM images:

;--------- fix ACE on XP Home
;Bill Castner, MS-MVP Windows Networking
;
//
The problem is with user rights assignments on the desktop computer.

The Guest account settings in Control Panel | User Accounts have nothing to do with network access. They determine whether someone can log on as Guest at the keyboard.

If the desktop computer runs Windows XP Professional:

1. Click Start | Run, type "secpol.msc" in the box, and click OK.
2. Click Local Policies.
3. Click User Rights Assignment.
4. Click "Access this computer from the network" and make sure that the Everyone group is included.
5. Click "Deny access to this computer from the network" and make sure that the Everyone group is NOT included.
6. Start, Run, net user Guest /active:yes
This allows access by Group Guest but does nothing for User Guest at the local console.

If the desktop computer runs Windows XP Home Edition, the "secpol.msc" program isn't available. To make the required user rights assignments:

1. You will need the Windows Utility NTRIGHTS.EXE Download and install the Windows 2003 Server Resource Kit Tools from Make a copy of NTRIGHTS.EXE and place it in %windir%\System32. You can download just NTRIGHTS.EXE. After extracting move the copy to %windir$\System32 :
3. Type these lines in a command prompt window, exactly as shown, observing upper case vs. lower case; or copy and paste to Notepad and save as .CMD type file:

net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

Last step: A registry change. Do this check on both XP Home and XP pro network clients:

Start, Run, regedit
Navigate to this Value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA
RestrictAnonymous

If this key is set to 1, change it to 0 (that is a zero)

//

Best wishes,
Bill Castner, MS-MVP Windows Networking

Users Helping Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back