Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect VB application to the database over the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohini21

Programmer
Jan 19, 2003
NZ
Dear All,

Can some one suggest if I can connect a VB application to the database sitting on the server through a remote location over the Internet?

Cheers

Yes you can connect to a database over the internet. Now, are you asking how? This gets a little more complicated and will require that firewalls are configured appropriately. for example, if it is an oracle database you would generally open ports 1521/1526 to the world (scary), domain, or machine specifically.
The simple answer is that if you use an ODBC connection, you can develop on a database on the local machine, then change the ODBC connection to connect to the live system for implementation (then if you can't connect it is usally a firewall issue). Basically, if you can develop to an ODBC connection database, the database can be anywhere.
I use ODBC as an example, I know that there are other connection methods that can be employed.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back