Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect two schools and Share a Proxy and File server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigtm

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2006
GB
Hello, I have a question relating to the connection of two remote locations in order to share such servers as Proxy, File server and any other server required.

To be more specific, i have two locations needing connected via VPN.

Site 1 has 20 servers each doing it's own thing. Fixed IP's for each server as follows:

IP range: 192.168.101.1 to 192.168.101.20
Subnet 255.255.254.0

We have an 8mb adsl connection with a fixed ip 62.49.xx.xx

Site 2 has 3 servers providing various services. Fixed IP's for each server as follows:

192.168.100.1 to 192.168.100.3
Subnet 255.255.255.0

We also have an 8mb adsl connection with a fixed ip 62.49.xx.xx as well.

Both sites have 15 outward facing ip's that can be used. I want to connect both offices so site 2 can access the file servers on site 1 as if they were located at the same place and vice versa. Also i aim to share a proxy server to take advantage of an expensive web filtering solution only available at site 1.

Any idea of the best way to approach this? Rough pointers,budget equipment and basic configurations would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks
BigTM.

You have many options to setup site to site VPN. What I worry about it, you may not happy about the speed even the 8MB ADSL because the upload may not be up to 1MB.

vpn solutions
VPN Solutions. 1. Peer to Peer VPN 2. Client to Server VPN 3. Site to Site VPN 4. IPSec VPN 5. Exporting VPN Client Settings ...

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Many Thanks for that, the graphs are very helpful. If you dont mind me asking, If i was to opt for site-to-site-hardware, once setup and sites are liked, how would i access say the file server on site 1 from site 2. I assume port forwarding will also feature high in the vpn setup?

I cant seem to get my head round it yet.

many Thanks,
BigTM.

Agree with Bob, no less you have a chance to corrupt large data files,( or should I say you will corrupt data files). You would need a great deal more additional bandwidth which would be very costly.

Terminal server(s) would offer you safe/high speed access. Look into TS accessed through your present VPN connection, it is fantastic/secure. Most of my clients use Terminal services, they can access/run data or programs faster than local workstations can.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back