Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect to wireless through the browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

xionhack

Technical User
Apr 25, 2009
US
Hello. In my school, like in many other schools, after I connect to the access point, I have to open a browser and authenticate myself. I want to do the same in my organization. How can I do that? I've been googling but cant find anything. Thanks

You probably need an access point that supports that.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Hi Xion,

I am assuming you want to be able to create user accounts with passwords for client identification. There are a couple of ways to accomplish this.

One is to get some access points that will integrate with active directory so that any AD credentials you set up would also apply to the wireless.

If you do not have AD set up on your network a good alternative is to go with a system like Meraki or Open Mesh that will do all of that for you and you can set up accounts and whatnot through them as they are all cloud controlled (and very easy to use)

If you prefer something a little more advance, the Linux based MikroTik access points can do all that as well but locally to the device instead of out in the cloud.

I have worked with all of the above so its just a matter of what you already have or what you prefer.

I hope this helps!

Americanmcneil
Network+

Check out PPPOE and a radius server.You can have a customized front page that opening a browser takes you automatically to an authentication page requiring a user name and password.

Hello. Thank you all for ur responses. I have active directory set up and what I'm looking for is that when people open the browsers they have to authenticate with active directory in order to have internet or use the local network. What I've heard from some people is that only Cisco does that and that it costs thousands. I'm in a low budget. Is Cisco the only one that has those routers? Thanks!

Are you trying to do this with existing gear or are you looking for new gear? If existing it may help to explain what you have.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Hello. I have a computer with windows server 2008. I have some belkin routers but I think most likely I will have to change it for this, I'm up to it, but I dont want to spend thousands of dollars in access points.

Depending on how many and the type of AP's you need, Ruckus Wireless can do that. They're not exactly cheap, but they're a lot less than Cisco. And a ZoneDirector for six Ruckus AP's can be had for around $1200.

They can be a little tricky but MikroTik AP's can do this. They are rather inexpensive ($200 roughly) but can integrate with most RADIUS servers and whatnot and support web interfaces on the AP's themselves.

Check out and for more info to see if that's a direction you want to go in.

Americanmcneil
Network+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back