Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect to SQL through VPN on a Non domain laptop???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmore628

IS-IT--Management
Mar 7, 2007
US
Is it possible to connect to a SQL server through a VPN using IAS if the laptop is not on the domain?

It seems I can do everything except connect to my SQL server

Does anyone haveany idea?

Thanks

Yes if you are using a SQL Login to connect to the database. If you try to use Windows Authentication it probably won't work unless the usernames and passwords match and to an account on the domain.

Just make sure that port 1433 is open through the IAS server.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

I am using windows authentication and the account do match. I can map drives and access the file server that the SQL DB is on but it wont connect. When I try to access some foldrs a login window pops up... Thats why I think its not gonna work this way.

Thanks - Mr denny

Pat

Are you able to telnet to port 1433 on the SQL Server when VPNed in?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back