Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect to Internet via Cable modem - now IE prompting for dial-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajaeger

Technical User
Feb 6, 2003
US
I have been using a cable modem to connect to the Internet from my laptop. MS Outlook uses the cable too. Last week, I configured a dial-up connection so that I can connect while traveling with my laptop. I was able to dial in while at my parents house.

Now that I'm back at my house and connected to the cable modem, I can't connect to the Internet via cable (actually, it's sporadic, I was able this morning for a little while, but now I can't). When I open IE, I get the message "The web page you requested is not available offline. To view this page, click Connect." I have the option to click CONNECT or STAY OFFLINE. When I click Connect, I am prompted for a dial-up connection. How do I get it connected via Cable. I know the cable is working since I do not have a phone line connected, but MS Outlook still sending and receiving messages.

Thanks.

Anna Jaeger
iMIS Database Support

In Internet Explorer, click on Tools, Options, then the Connctions tab. Move the option to: Never Dial a Connection.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Go to control Panel, then network connections open network connections, an disable the dial-up connection,right click dial-up an disable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back