Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect to Exchange Server from external network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frdeluca

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2003
US
Hello, my question is simple. I am wondering if it is at all possible to be able to connect to the exchange server at our office using Outlook just as we would from our office. I have a laptop that this would be ideal for, and know of someone who had once done it but doesn't remember how.

Thanks in advance! Frank

Probably what you are after is Outlook Web Access. IE, you can access your exchange server using a web browser and in the web browser, the interface is just like outlook (more or less). Need a bit more information before giving any advice; Especially as to what your network configuration is including firewalls (if any) etc between the external network and your exchange box.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Hello, yes I am aware of OWA, however, the way this was setup was by modifying the lmhosts file (I believe) and actually getting the Outlook program (on my home computer) to connect to the exchange server at the office. As far as firewalls, I can configure it to whatever I need to make it work. I wish I remember how it was done previously, hehe..

I don't quite see where the LMHOST file fits in, but beside that, for OWA, all you really do is 'surf' to your network mail, very much like hotmail in a way.
All you need to do is forward port 80 (or 443 for SSL) to your Exchange server.
When you then surf to you can login and get the Outlook 'look' of OWA.

The alternative way is to set up a VPN connection.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Try setting up a VPN connection to your office. This is what I have set up for mine. It's work fine. You can then use Outlook client just as you were in the office. Of course if you don't have VPN access, OWA would be your best route.

I know this still wasn't the way we had done it but it should work. Thanks.

We allow Outlook Web Access -- simply surf to your domain name/exchange and log in with your username and password.

Also, VPN to the office works great. Just create a VPN, give the user a shortcut to it and remind them that if they're offsite they have to click that button first.

Finally, you can set up your local Outlook for use offline. Let it sync to your laptop and then you can work without being connected. Any outgoing mail will be saved in that folder until you connect to the network again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back