Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connect to cdrom 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

testman1

Vendor
Oct 7, 2007
US
How do you connect to a cdrom in ubuntu server. I'm new to Linux.
Thanks.

Are you saying:
mount -t iso9660
cd /cdrom
ls

Does the above allow me to see the files on the cd in the cdrom? There is a lot to read.

Thanks.

That should more-or-less do it, however your mount command is missing two parameters; the device to mount and the location to mount it.

Try mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom (where /cdrom needs to be an existing directory.

Annihilannic.

I do not know if it is wise for us to move away from the nomenclature of /dev/cdrom, /dev/dvd etc as these are just symlinks to the actual devices. I've had situations where users have 2 or more optical devices. While the first one gets linked as /dev/cdrom the second one doesn't. I usually try to get users to use the sr[X] naming convention instead. But that too may one day come the way of hd[X] becoming part of sd[X] naming scheme. I personally would have preferred the convention of optical[X].

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back