Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect to an external sql server

Status
Not open for further replies.

breemermatta

Programmer
Dec 3, 2003
SE
Hi,

I am workin' on a small windows application in Visual studio .net using c# and I want to access a ms sql server over the internet... How can I do this? What should my connection string look like??

The servers ip is "skylab1.te.hik.se" port 25000. the server name is "SKYLAB1\INST2"
the database name is "BreemerChat". I use Sql server authentication (don't wont to post the logins ;)).

earlier I used an alias in the client network utility (wich worked fine) but that doesn't work on other computers, that havn't got an alias...

I am a beginner when it comes to this so please help me!

Here's the basic format for a connection string using .Net:
"Data Source=skylab1.te.hik.se,25000Network Library=DBMSSOCN;Initial Catalog=pubs;User ID=sa;Password=asdasd;"

You may wnat to use the acutal IP instead of the name, according to my ping your ip is 194.47.172.25. I'm not exactly sure how you specify a specific instance so id try just adding \INST1 after the ip. Hope this helps or at least doesn't mislead you. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back