Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect to a SUS Server without AD / SMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmREA

MIS
Apr 24, 2003
CH
Hello

I've downloaded and installed the SUS-Software from Mircosoft to build a "corporate-update-server". The server works fine and downloads the Hotfixes. The question now is, how to connect to this server from a client. We don't have AD or a SMS-Server here, so the only way seems to be the Registry on the clients. I've created the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\AU with the entries AUOptions = 3, AUState = 2 and UseWUServer = 1 (all DWORD). In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate I've created the strings WUServer = and WUStatusServer = But nothing happens, my client never shows the WinUpdateIcon in the SysTray (yes, the WinUpdate Service is running). From the client, I can pinging the Server, so nameresolution works fine.

I've seen, that there is also the entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update. What is it for, resp what's the difference to the "AU"-key?

Any ideas?

I don't want to use Grp Policies I need to use registry settings. I have created the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindoesUpdate\au but this entry did not work.
I then created HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\WUServer and WUStatus server but this did not work either. What are the correct registry entries to place on the windoes client pc?

Thanks

ccnguy,

I know this is an old post, but did you every get the clients to work via the registry. I am having the same problem, test client never connects. I was thinking it was an IIS issue so I played with it a little, but still nothing. I have a lot of questions about this, hoping someone has the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back