Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect to a computer on a network over the net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulbradley

Programmer
Oct 9, 2002
GB
I am running VNC viewer and I wish to view a desktop of a PC on a network over the internet. I have the name of the PC as far as the network is concerned as well the IP addres although I fear this may only be an IP address for the network not an 'online' one. I also have the DNS server, DHCP server, default gateway and subnet mask and adapter address.

Basically i am a novice to VNC so I would like to know if I have the information to view a specific PC on a remote network, if not what more do i need?

Many Thanks

P.S. all PC's on the network ARE running VNC server.

If the remote machine you are trying to connect to has a private IP address (something in the 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x thru 172.31.x.x, or 10.x.x.x ranges), then you need to connect through a NAT device.

Your best and most secure solution is to use VPN to connect to the remote network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back