Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect HP Pro curve to Cisco Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCSCB

Technical User
Jun 24, 2004
GB
Hi,

I have been given a HP Pro Curve to test? Configure.

We have a Cisco Network and predominately use 3560's 48/24's

Does anyone know how to configure these switches ??

I have posted an example of how I would configure a Cisco.

VLAN DATABASE
vlan 3000 name A_N_other_Vlan
apply
exit
wri

conf t
mls qos
mls qos map cos-dscp 0 8 16 26 34 46 48 56
end
wri

conf t
int range gig 0/1 - 2
switchport trunk encap dot1q
switchport trunk allow vlan 1-99,200-1005
switchport mode trunk
mls qos trust dscp
priority-que out
end
wri

conf t
int range fa 0/1 - 24
switchport trunk encap dot1q
switchport voice vlan 3000
switchport mode dynamic desirable
mls qos trust device cisco-phone
switchport priority extend cos 0
power inline auto
end
wri

What would be the commands on the HP ??

Im totally lost any help would be very welcoming

M

What are you trying to accomplish on the HP?
Do you just want to manage it?
Do you want to pass vlans from the Cisco to the HP?
Etc...

Need some additional info.

Hi Cajuntank,

I want to have 2 vlans Vlan 1 for Data and 3000 for Voice.

It will be connected to a 3750 via SFP Gbic. So I want to add 2 vlans and use it for Cisco 7940's then a Pc connected.

Phone gets power no problem but doesnt get any config. I dont know how to get multiple vlans to pass across the ports

Cheers

M.

It would help to know which HP device you're using...
I do most of my vlan config from the web-based GUI.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Hi,

We are using a 2600 8 port POE switch

Have you read the manual? What function are you confused on?

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/AdvTraff-Oct2005-59908853-Chap02-VLAN.pdf

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Hi,

Looked at the manual. I have happened across a HP Tech Question that answers my question ( I think !! )

I havent configured HP Before , only worked on Cisco for 6 years so have the ios commands and Cisco's way of thinking etched in my memory ( sad !! )

When I issue Trunking command on Cisco it allows muliple Vlans between the switches. Trunking on HP is Load Balancing. combining the traffic over 2 ports.....

As you can imagine I was CONFUSED.

What I have had to do is set up the 2 vlans on the switch, on the UPLINK to a cisco switch have the voice vlan set to tagged and default Data vlan untagged.

I wrongly assummed that this was the case when connecting the cisco phones as muliple vlans were being used Voice and Data.

In this config the phones couldnt see the voice vlan to connect to the call manager

So this was not the case both Vlans need to be untagged.

Hey Presto the phones loaded and worked.

Problem solved. I got there in the end cheers for the help

M.

Sorry, been out of touch for the past couple of days. Glad you got it up and going. Just out of couriosity... did you have to define the correct VLAN on the Cisco phone?

With the Procurve(s) no longer supporting CDP, I figured maybe you had to define the correct vlan on the phone for it to know which one to use coming off of the Procurve, or did I not read something correctly by the way you had it set up?

Hi,

I just setup 2 vlans vlan1 default and vlan2 then named 2 Voice vlan.
There is a setting for voice on the switch I changed that for vlan 2.

I had vlan1 set to untagged and Voice to tagged on all ports. It was carrying both vlans to the switch, but the phones didnt know which vlan to be in and picked up the default Vlan1. So all phones were sat at configuring IP.

I changed the User ports to untagged on both Vlans then plugged the phone in and Hey presto, working phones.

M.

Oh No spoke too soon.

Phone working in vlan 2 ( voice ) great. Pcs are working too ..........sort of ....looking deeper, the pc's that are connected to the Pc port on the phone ( 7940 ) are also in the voice vlan. Im trying to get the PC in vlan1.

Does anyone know what im doing wrong here am I missing something so simple , is it possible.

That's why I kinda questioned that. Since the HP switches don't do CDP, my guess is that you'd either have to configure the phones manually to use a specific VLAN, or enable LLDP(non-proprietary dicovery protocol as opposed to Cisco's)on your Cisco switches. Don't know if the Cisco phones know about LLDP (I think I remember they do, might be wrong), but I know the Cisco switches know about LLDP.

In your VLAN configuration put the port that the phone is on as a tagged port in both VLAN's. I have a ProCurve 4000m that does support CDP and had to (in Cisco terms) make each port on the procurve that a phone was connected to a "trunk port" by tagging it in multiple VLAN's. Just make sure QOS is enabled or they will work like crap!

MrNick,

the 4000m must be slightly different.

If I tag both Vlans only the default vlan works on the phone, Therefore it cannot get its TFTP Load as the server is in the second vlan, the PC works though as that is in the default vlan.

If I tag just the 2nd vlan the PC picks up the 2nd vlan.

I have a case with HP at the moment... I will see what develops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back