Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect Fiber Patch Panel (1xSC) to HP switch mGBIC transciever (LCx2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ennovers

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2009
US
Hello everyone

I am hoping that someone can help me out. I have been looking all over the internet for an answer to this problem. I even called a couple of fiber cabling vendors. I'm hoping there is a solution. Here it goes. At the job, there are 2 IDF closets connected to the MDF closet via fiber runs with single SC termination ports. I want to connect each port to a switch on both ends. the switches have a mGBIC with 2xLC connections. How can I make this happen? I've tried searching for couplers, converters etc. Can I customer order a patch cable that will do the trick?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to hear from you.

Yes, you will need a duplex fiber patch cord with LC connectors on one end, and SC connectors on the other, but you need to verify if your fiber is multi mode or single mode. One source is Fiber Instrument Sales: fiberinstrumentsales.com you can also call them.

....JIM....

When you say "single SC termination ports", do you mean you have a single fibre, not a pair?

If you have a LC-SC patch cable, and the SC ends are hooked together, you can just take off the little gizzy that holds the 2 SC connectors together (for an SC Duplex connection). That way, you end up with 2 separate SC connector ends that you can plug into a fiber panel with single SC ports. Siecor had a set of panels that had 8 single SC ports instead of 4 duplex ports in one of their older series fiber faceplates.... There are different types of holders on SC patch cables, some you have to pry apart, others are just fancy clips. Even if you break the duplex part of the connection, you will still have 2 separate, working SC ends. from there you can connect them whereever you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back