Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect an off-site PC via DSL Broadband?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davcom1

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2002
GB
First of all, wasn't sure where to place this question so apologies if this is not the right forum...

I want to be able to access data held on a computer at a remote site. We have DSL broadband connections at both sites and a small P2P network running here.

Is the answer something to do with the IP addresses?

Both sites use dynamic IPs.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to access "Shared" folders on the remote computer via the Network Neighborhood folder.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance,

David

Hi Davcom

Two ways to do this -

1. setup your LAN for VPN (Virual Private Networking), and enable VPN passthrough on your router... OR
2. setup an FTP server on your LAN and use port forwarding on your router. The usual FTP port is port 21.

For more information on Port Forwarding, take a look at these:
thread581-519984
thread581-505091
thread581-502146

In addition to this, (as you use dynamic IP addresses) you'll need to use a DNS service.

I use No-IP...they provide me with "myusername.no-IP.com", I run a very small program on a PC on my LAN...
instead of people trying to connect to my (ever changing) IP address, they simply connect to "myusername.no-ip.com"

Hope this is what you're looking for!

<marc>[ul]help us help![li]please give us feedback on what works / doesn't[/li][li]not sure where to start? click here: faq581-3339[/li][/sup][/ul][/sup]

marc - thanks for the assistance!

I've checked out and will sign up with NO IP.

Much appreciated.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back