Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect a Vital Signs device

Status
Not open for further replies.

zks

MIS
Apr 20, 2012
US
Hi dear Tek-Tips Friends.

I have a issue with connectin the vital signs devices to my pc and gathering data from them. I have two not too old devices that I want to conecct to my PC and to use it for recording the data for my grandmother. We need to have tha data to send to the doctor daily. Does anyone know If and how to do this. We have Philips SureSign VS1 monitor with this description:

Serial Communications
Serial communication occurs through the 15-pin D-sub female connector located on the back
of the monitor with transmission protocol RS-232. This connector is also used to program the flash ROM.

And the second device that I want to connect to my PC is digital scale DETECTO’S 758C with serial 9 pin port on the back !

On my PC I have 9-pin male serial port but I dont have 15-pin input port!? :(

I appreciate any Help!

Thanks!

Have you tried the manufacturer ?
see -
select your country, and then your device, and get assistance from those who should know best. Let us know if they help you!
I suspect the 15 pin serial setup is to make it medical specific - and they may sell or provide specs to make an adapter cable to set you use the 9-pin serical that's standard in the PC world.

Fred Wagner

Maybe this is cable will help:

I've never ordered from that site, I just googled it. So make sure they accept returns in case it doesn't work as expected.

Also, you should probably stay away from USB serial adapters if you happen to find one that does DB15. I've had limited success connecting legacy devices to them.

[tab]

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

What's the problem? Every since serial ports were standardized, they have made 9 - 15 adapters. I've got a couple in my junk box, and they sell them at any electrical parts stores. I even have a "break-out" box for custom crossovers.
I see adapters all the time at Fry's Electronics - male to male, male to female, and female to female.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back